Monday, January 1
LEAD PASTOR & EXECUTIVE TEAM
Our executive team is made up of the Lead Pastor, Worship Arts Pastor, Congregational Life Pastor, Global Outreach Pastor, the Living Truth Director, and the Finance & Operations Director.
- Colossians 3:1-3 “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.”
- That they would walk in the council of God
- That their hearts and minds would be set on God’s plans
- That the many distractions that exist in life would subside as they prioritize time to abide in Christ
- John 13:14-15 “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
- That they would embody servant leadership
- That their heart would humbly seek to elevate others
- That they would know when to encourage, comfort, and confront those they serve
- Psalm 25:14 ” The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.”
- For sensitivity to the Spirit’s promptings as they discern future ministry opportunities and partnerships both locally and globally
- Ephesians 6:10-11 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”
- That the strength of the Lord, and the power of his might, would be evident in their lives
- That they would be able to discern the enemy’s schemes and resist them
I Timothy 2:1-4
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
Tuesday, January 2
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The purpose of the Board of Directors is to oversee the general direction of the church. This involves working cooperatively with the Lead Pastor in discerning God’s will for our church and then acting accordingly. The mandate of the church is articulated in our Vision and Mission. They keep focussed on God’s agenda through a yearly operational plan (called the VisionPath) which is prepared by staff and presented to the Board for review and approval.
- Matthew 28:19-20 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- That their hearts and minds would be set on fulfilling the great commission
- That each person would observe all that God has commanded them such as being teachable, walking in the counsel of God and spending time in prayer
- That they prioritize time to abide in Christ
- Matthew 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
- That they would work together as a unified team to build this church upon a biblical foundation
- That their decision making would be based on discernment of Gods will through prayer and listening to God’s leading, not by simply relying on their own skills and experience
- That they would know when to encourage, comfort, and confront those they serve
- That they would embody servant leadership.
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (ESV) Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
- That they remain passionate about serving God and loving people
- That they may be willing to take big steps of faith when required by trusting God, as opposed to following safe and pragmatic courses of action
- That they exercise self control in all things
Wednesday, January 3
Our Administrators are the backbone of the church staff. They ensure offices are run well and provide support for the many ministries here at the church.
- That they are filled with energy and gusto for the many challenges they face
- That their hearts are patient as they manage the many requests from staff, congregants, and pastors
- That their computers remain free of problems
Our Human Resources department supports each of the staff members at The Peoples Church by encouraging the effective use of our resources, skills and gifting.
- For continued focus for the Health & Safety Committee
- For the successful implementation of measures defined in the provincial legislation regarding people with disabilities (AODA)
- For discernment regarding the hiring of any personnel
Thursday, January 4
Our Accounting department is responsible for the receipting and reporting of all funds that flow into the church as well as the processing and reporting of all funds that flow out.
- For continued integrity of information
- For strong stewardship of our resources
- For efficient and accurate processing of high volumes of data
2 Chronicles 1:10
Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?
Friday, January 5
EVENTS & GUEST SERVICES
Our Events & Guest Services team is responsible for all events – large or small – that happen at The Peoples Church. The team ensures all events are organized, well planned and effective by providing food services, planning assistance, decor and thorough logistics.
- For effective communication between the team and those who are holding events
- For additional volunteers to join the food services team
Our Property team serves and supports all ministry functions at The Peoples Church by ensuring spaces are prepared for meetings and events. The team creates a welcoming environment by maintaining and protecting our facilities, both inside and out, in a healthy, safe and sanitary manner.
- For the safety of our property management team
- For the effective resolution of all maintenance requests
- For continued good service to all staff, volunteers, congregation members and guests
- For the successful implementation of all building renovation projects
Saturday, January 6
Our I.T. department is responsible for stewarding the technology needs at The Peoples Church. From installing new hardware to managing the church management software, the I.T. department is vital to the operations of the church.
- For the successful implementation of all aspects of our database (Arena)
- For security for our various networks
- For continued good service in support of all the staff and volunteers
Sunday, January 7
Our Communications team is the online and printed voice of The Peoples Church, responsible for stewarding the church’s corporate identity. The team produces everything from the church sign out front to this very prayer guide.
- That they are able to effectively manage communications requests both internally and externally
- That the team grows with willing volunteers
- That they are able to make the best use of various platforms for communications
- That they are able to effectively use the church management software to engage the church congregation
Our Welcome Centre is the first impression that many people get of The Peoples Church, when they visit throughout the week. In addition to welcoming guests, the team responds to inquiries over the phone and in person.
A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver – Proverbs 25:11
- That they continue to be excellent ambassadors for The Peoples Church
- That they would have a renewed sense of vitality and excitement every day
- That they continue to be empathetic and compassionate to people in need
Monday, January 8
Our Worship Arts team is responsible for planning, coordinating and leading our Sunday services and special productions.
- That God would bring people with skill and heart (Psalm 78:72) to be part of this ministry in key leadership roles
- That our church would have a heart for the next generation of worshippers, and a posture to be led well as they come aboard
- That the team leaders would have the vision, the confidence and the capacity to train others
Tuesday, January 9
Our Technical Ministry is made up of an amazing group of volunteers. They serve behind the scenes running lyrics, lights, and sound, for Sunday services and many of the ministries that meet on weekends and during the week. The team also prepares for events by hanging lights, moving stage pieces and setting up equipment.
- That the Lord will bring new people to the team who are gifted with technical aptitude and as visual artists
- That as people serve, they will learn and grow while serving
- In thankfulness to the Lord for those who faithfully serve in this ministry
Wednesday, January 10
The Teaching Ministry of The Peoples Church is propelled to a global audience through television, radio and various new-media. Living Truth is the flagship program enjoyed by millions in a variety of languages. It is another expression of how we are together in God’s global mission.
- For those who receive the message. Many people rely on Living Truth as their weekly ‘church service’ while others enjoy it as an important aspect of their spiritual enrichment. We are also grateful for those who join us with prayer, financial support, and encouragement.
- For those who work behind the scenes. Our team of capable and faithful staff and volunteers diligently strive to offer the very best, with the resources entrusted to us.
- For those who are on camera. We know that it is a demanding, and often difficult labour of love week to week.
- For those who are searching. In the contemporary age, many people looking for meaning and purpose turn to media as a resource. We desire to impact their lives positively and introduce them to the person of Christ.
…so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
Thursday, January 11
Our Connection Centre is the “go to” desk on Sundays for new visitors and all inquiries. Our staff and volunteers provide information about all the ministries, activities and events of The Peoples Church.
- That all inquiries will be responded to with warmth and efficiency
- That the Holy Spirit will supply wisdom and discernment to staff and volunteers as they interact one-on-one with people
USHERS, GREETERS & PARKING ATTENDANTS
Our parking attendants, greeters and ushers give the first impression of The Peoples Church to our attendees on Sundays and at special events. They have the responsibility of ensuring that every congregant and visitor is offered care and assistance, making their visit to The Peoples Church, from a practical standpoint, as pleasant as possible.
- That the fruit of the Spirit would be evident in their serving
- That they would continue to be excellent ambassadors for The Peoples Church
- That others will be led to join our welcoming teams
Friday, January 12
Connections Café is designed to assist new and existing members in becoming engaged in the life of our church family, whether it be through serving opportunities or connecting with the many spiritual life and fellowship opportunities.
- That our staff and volunteers would continue to see Connections Cafe as a means of facilitating vital and meaningful engagement with the body of Christ at The Peoples Church
- That our ministry volunteers remain energized
- That Connections Cafe would be successful at embracing and assimilating people into the community of believers
Saturday, January 13
WE PRAY MINISTRY
Prayer is the heartbeat of a healthy church. It is both a privilege and a responsibility as we draw closer to God taking time to listen to him, spend time with him and speak with him. We connect as a church family through various corporate and individual prayer gatherings in our neighbourhoods, in our homes and in our church.
- That God would ignite a fire deep in the bones of our church family to be a praying community
- For a deep experience of God by his Holy Spirit as we glorify Him through prayer
- For our neighbourhoods, homes and places of influence to be radically transformed as we seek Him on our knees
- That we would come together in prayer across our city with boldness and the assurance that God is at work
Rooted is a simple way to invest in our church family in the journey of discipleship. It is not just for new believers, Rooted is for the whole church. Experiencing Rooted changes the way we see discipleship and helps us to grow holistically.
- For people to be called and committed to serve as part of the Rooted team
- For a deep transformational work in the lives of our Rooted participants as they encounter Jesus
- For each person taking part to prioritize the 10-week journey and fully engage in community
- For continued connections and development of strong pathways into Life Groups
Sunday, January 14
Life Groups form a vibrant community where we can connect with God, His body and our neighbours. Each group provides the opportunity to form authentic relationships. We connect as we dig deeper in God’s Word, share the ups and downs of everyday life with others and being involved practically in our neighbourhoods.
- For our Life Groups to become disciple making communities
- For God to raise up new leaders, coaches and hosts in key communities
- For committed participants prioritizing life in community, personal growth and connection as they journey together
- For groups to be fully engaged and bear fruit in their respective communities
For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
Monday, January 15
MINISTRY TRAINING CENTRE
The Ministry Training Centre is a community of people hungry to connect and grow together in Christ. Serving as the equipping arm for our church family, the Ministry Training Centre provides a calendar of opportunities to learn and grow in everything from discipleship, online training, leadership training and care and counselling when we need to step away and allow him to work in our hearts.
- For a church family that is growing deeper in faith as we actively engage in being equipped
- That we would develop strong community connections providing opportunities to use what we have learned in practical ways
- For God to continue to bring forth those he has gifted with a passion and heart for equipping others
- That we would grow and thrive with roots deeply planted in his Word and that it would not merely be an academic exercise of knowing more
If you are unable to attend church in person, these free studies provide the opportunity to stay in the Word from the comfort of your home, overseas or as part of a prison ministry.
- That the ministry is a vibrant community of committed individuals
- That they continue to reach those who are seeking God’s Word
- That they are able to find new ways to connect with those unable to attend The Peoples Church in person
Tuesday, January 16
In Children’s Ministry we want our children to be motivated by the gospel to live out their faith every day. We hope to accomplish this by helping children to KNOW Jesus, LOVE Jesus and SHARE Jesus with the world.
- That the Holy Spirit would be at work leading our children to come into a saving and personal relationship with Jesus
- That our children would be protected and strengthened to be a light for Christ in their schools and everywhere they go!
- That our leaders would have a deep and growing relationship with Jesus and wisdom on how to teach our children
- That God would supply our need for leaders more who are called to serve in Children’s Ministry and to help disciple the next generation!
Gather the people, consecrate the assembly; bring together the elders, gather the children…
Wednesday, January 17
Our Jr. High (Grades 7 & 8) ministry exists to transition students from Children’s Ministry to Youth Ministry by building Jesus-centered and trusting relationships. On Sundays we learn and talk about the big ideas of the Bible. On Fridays we hang out, learn some more and spend time in Life Groups.
- For students to transition well into this next phase of life – this is more than just a program transition, pray about life change at every level
- For the Lord to bring willing people to our ministry – this ministry is growing fast and we are in need of servant-hearted and committed adult volunteers
Our Youth Ministry exists to raise teens who are motivated by the gospel to live out their faith every day. Through gospel-centered relationships we strive to love teens and reveal Jesus’ truth and grace in a way that astounds, transforms, and motivates them to live for him every day.
- That students would grow in their faith in Christ as the result of loving relationships and conversations about truth
- That God would raise up adult volunteers who are willing to invest in the next generation
Thursday, January 18
Impact is for people ages 18-25, with a particular focus on post-secondary students and those in the early years of their careers. Our vision is to be motivated by the gospel to live out our faith every day.
- That we would be “doers” of God’s Word by serving
- That we would be disciples who love and influence those around us in ways that will positively impact the city of Toronto
Friday, January 19
10:10 is a fellowship consisting of people from the ages of 25-40+ years. Our goal is to cultivate intimacy with God and with our neighbours. This vibrant group of men and women meets on Thursdays for worship, Bible study, prayer and social interaction. In addition to the Thursday night meetings, the group gathers for other spontaneous activities within the community.
- That we will develop effective small group facilitators who will care and lead the many growing small groups we have
- For unity and strong leadership as we seek to lead this amazing group
- That we will see spiritual growth in those who actively become involved and for eyes to see and care for the many needs in this church
Saturday, January 20
We seek to become men who live transformed lives of authentic manhood as modeled by Jesus Christ and directed by the Word of God.
- For the men in the ministry
- For the development of opportunities for men to grow in Christ and learn to share their faith with others
Sunday, January 21
Our Women’s Ministry provides an oasis for women in a hectic world. We are a vibrant community of women from various backgrounds and walks of life longing for community. Our women’s gatherings provide a safe place to connect, share, learn, pray and serve together. We are real women, dealing with real life, living out our faith with the assurance that we serve a very real God.
- That God would tell the stories of women he has rescued from the pit
- For women to continue to grow in faith and confidence as we rightly handle the Word of God
- That we would step out in faith allowing his light to shine through us as we develop authentic relations and community
- For a movement of God so powerful in the lives of women that our homes, workplaces, communities and neighbourhoods would be radically transformed
Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me.
Monday, January 22
Friendship Class is a worship gathering for adults with developmental and intellectual challenges. We worship our great God in song, prayer, plays and many other ways.
- That each person feels free and confident to express the gifts that God has placed within them
- That each person feels like they belong and for the Word to reach our hearts
- That our music would be meaningful to each person as we worship our God and express the joy of the Holy Spirit throughout the church
- That our friendships would be guided with prayer and for God to connect us to other church groups and partners for his glory
Tikvah (Hebrew for hope) is an adult Bible study that provides a safe, loving and encouraging environment for friends with physical challenges. Our group enjoys a time of worship, fellowship and study as we deepen our relationship with God.
- For greater faith and deeper knowledge of God’s love, as we continue the Rooted study
- For hearts who seek the Lord and trust him for every need… physical, emotional and spiritual
- For abundant lives in Christ. Walking each day by his Spirit
- For God’s gifts and purposes in our lives to shine… to shine in our homes, our communities, and especially our church, because “we are ONE”!
Tuesday, January 23
The 60+ Fellowship seeks to provide spiritual nourishment and direction for those of our community who are in the 60+ demographic. Through monthly gatherings, special events and engagement in the life streams of The Peoples Church, we encourage our more mature believers to remain on the front lines of advancing the gospel of Christ.
- That the sufficiency of Christ will be realized in the lives of our seniors
- For our group of faithful and caring volunteers
Wednesday, January 24
The Newcomers Network is the Welcoming Ministry of The Peoples Church to show hospitality and care to immigrants, refugees, migrant workers and international students. Our desire is to support newcomers in their process of integration and settlement and invite them to become part of God’s community.
- For our volunteers as they connect with newcomers through ESL classes, settlement assistance, legal assistance, career mentoring and health support
- For the development of new relationships with families in transition
- For newcomers to experience a sense of community as they join the different ministry initiatives
- For those who are struggling in their process of integration, that they would find meaningful jobs, adjust to a new culture and find care and community in our church
- For opportunities to share the gospel
- For the continuation of a strong and consistent leadership team – that they would be able to minister to the diverse needs of international students
- For the many students who come out, that in the short time they are in Canada this ministry would help them come to faith in Jesus Christ
- That the hundreds of alumni who have travelled back to their home countries would continue to find Christian fellowship and support, and would be a light to their family and friends
Thursday, January 25
The city of Toronto is multicultural, and we at The Peoples Church strive to provide a place to connect those with a similar cultural heritage for friendship, fellowship and Bible study. The following groups meet at various times each month: African, Arabic, Caribbean, Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Spanish and South Asian.
- For wisdom and discernment for leaders as they guide and minister to their fellowships
- For new members to join the fellowships and grow in their faith
- For members to effectively live out the message of Jesus Christ and bring the hope of the gospel to their communities
- For blessings on the leaders and volunteers who work sacrificially and tirelessly
To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are his.
Friday, January 26
The Global Mission department is committed to fulfilling our vision of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with compassion and justice. We believe that everyone has an important part to play in accomplishing God’s purposes in the world, so we look for opportunities to engage with mission partners in Toronto and around the world in prayerful and faithful commitment to mission.
- For our church to become a powerhouse of intercessory prayer for the salvation of the world
- For each individual to discover the joy of being committed and united with others in mission
- For the salvation of those who do not yet know Jesus as their Saviour and hope
- For all of our missionaries to be strengthened in their vision and commitment to saving the lost
Saturday, January 27
The Community Outreach department exists to inspire and equip our congregation to serve the city around us in partnership with local missionaries and other groups and agencies. These initiatives include the Ready To Serve website portal, sandwich making for homeless youth, serving community meals, working with North York Moms and neighbourhood outreach programs.
- For the continued development of the infrastructure, culture and ethos around Ready To Serve in our congregation
- That we would identify and raise up champions and leaders for local mission initiatives
- That we would build our volunteer base for local serving
- For resources for sustainability and to expand our capacity including administrative and communication support
Wilowtree is an under resourced neighbourhood that is walking distance from our church. We believe God has called us to be a blessing to this neighbourhood.
- Our church members will build meaningful relationships with members of this community including children and youth
- We would build a collaborative ministry model with local missionaries and churches to bring sustainable improvements to the community
North York Moms
A facebook community of 6000+ moms, many of whom have come to The Peoples Church for playgroups and community dinners.
- The families in this community would feel supported and cared for by our church
- The protection of families amidst the many challenges and struggles of raising a young family in Toronto
Light Patrol – Sandwich Making
Every other week our kitchen is full of volunteers making soup, sandwiches and cookies for homeless and vulnerable youth. The food is delivered by Light Patrol – a ministry that cares for homeless and vulnerable youth.
- For healing for the youth, many of whom struggle with mental health and addiction challenges
- For the youth to encounter the love of Jesus
Sunday, January 28
The Visitation Ministry seeks to let everyone know that he/she is a loved and valued member of our church family. Through visitation, and other means of connecting, we endeavour to share the love of Christ by demonstrating genuine care and concern for each individual.
- That the Lord would place the vision of personal ministry through visitation and practical care on the hearts of many within our congregation
- That no one within The Peoples Church family would feel abandoned or bypassed
- That all who serve within The Peoples Church family will see that we all serve “together in God’s global mission”
Monday, January 29
CARE & COUNSELLING
Care & Counselling at The Peoples Church is a professional healing ministry with a distinctively Christian approach that is thoughtful, confidential and rooted in the teachings of Scripture. Our ministry offers counselling and a variety of support groups for our congregant and community members.
- For counsellors to have vitality and strength as they counsel clients
- For healing for those involved in ministries of the Care & Counselling office
- For wisdom in helping clients
Tuesday, January 30
Silas Hill opened its doors to refugees in 2016 as a ministry of the The Peoples Church and provides short term shelter to asylum seekers from countries around the world.
- For current and former residents’ practical challenges such as finding housing, employment and their refugee claim process.
- For the wellbeing of our residents as they process loss, trauma and face the challenges of resettling in a new place.
- For a deep awareness of God’s peace, community, family and safety in the home.
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance.
Wednesday, January 31
The Peoples Church partners with many ministries here in Toronto and around the globe.
- That our partner ministries are supported, cared for and loved as they do God’s good work
- That our partner ministries are free from spiritual attacks